Having recently embarked on a new food regime to re-balance and recalibrate one’s metabolism for optimal functioning, we had to undergo a week of preparing the body – a kind of cleansing or detox. Here are the fundamentals.
8 – 10 glasses of water a day.
6.15 a.m. : One glass of water before coffee
Green tea, twice a day
2 cups of vegetable salads every day
- Use low fat salad dressings like vinegerettes, salsa, herbs, no/low oil dressings
- Use onions, tomatoes, radish, cucumbers, lettuce, carrots, capsicum / coloured bell peppers, sprouts, salad leaves
200ml of milk and 100gm yoghurt every day
Use low fat bases like tomato-onion, spice, coriander-mint or vinegar based gravies. No high fat bases with almonds, cashews, cream, coconut, cheese, other nuts and/or garnishes like raisins, extra ghee etc .
- Breakfast is HEAVY and dinner is LIGHT
- Salad with every breakfast – bigger, heavier vegetables
- Salad with every dinner – using salad leaves
- Chicken – only lean cuts – no skin and fat, no organ meats.
- Fish – fatty fishes like king fish, pomfret, sardines etc, NO shell fishes – prawns, mussels, crabs, lobsters etc
- No Red meat
Grilled/Tandoori chicken and fish are excellent ways to cook
Do not overcook, do not use butter or other fats to bast, cook or marinate the meat. Use a tsp of oil as an option.
Include walnuts, almonds, pistachios, sunflower seeds, flax seeds and virgin olive oil or cold pressed flax seed oil
Calcium : Very important – do not have with a meal, or with tea or coffee