(for want of a better name !)
- Macaroons, crushed
- Caster sugar
- Fresh blueberries
- Layer dish with crushed macaroons
- Stir sugar into cream
- Sprinkle blueberries over macaroons
- Douse with sugared cream
Jen’s Upside-down Almond-Preserved Mandarin Cake
- 100 gms butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- Packet preserved mandarins/kumquats in syrup
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Grenadine or cointreau
- Mix them well together, add some of the syrup from the preserve
- Add almond meal with baking powder (I did 3/4 cup almond meal n 1/4 cup flour)
- Pour in some grenadine or cointreau for good measure
- Beat the whites stiff, fold into batter
- In a loaf tin, (mine is approx 3.5″ x 8″) greased and dusted, (additionally, layer the bottom with grease paper – that prevents the oranges from burning) huddle the oranges at the bottom of the tin, pour in the batter and they will fill the gaps and hold the oranges together.
- Bake according to your oven, but mine was 200 deg till it rose, then 170 till it was done. Took about 55 minutes I think.
- When cooled, turn over so the oranges are on top.
If serving as dessert, I think whipped cream would be great, but it was good on its own and seemed right to have it while it was lukewarm.