On a visit to Vancouver a few weeks ago, I had a phenomenal Tuna Watermelon Salad at the Fable Kitchen in Kitsilano, with chunks of seared tuna tossed with feta, cucumber, egg, anchovy and guanciale (cured meat from Italy, prepared from pork jowl).
I came across another watermelon salad recipe and it was pretty good. (I can add the seared tuna when I learn how to sear tuna !)
- pitted black olives, roughly chopped
- pumpkin and/or sunflower seeds
- red onion, finely chopped
- unsalted pistachios, roughly chopped
- fresh mint, chopped
- goat’s cheese
- pita wedges, to serve
- a whole watermelon
- a dash of Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- a dash of caster sugar
- extra virgin olive oil
- Mix the ingredients for the dressing, set aside.
- In a large bowl mix arugula, olives, seeds, onion, pistachios and mint, set aside.
- With the skin on, cut 2.5 cm slices from the mid section of the watermelon, slice the skin off to make watermelon ‘steaks’, pick out and discard seeds.
- Crumble the goat’s cheese, add to the arugula mixture, add dressing, toss.
- Place a watermelon steak on each plate, top with arugula mixture, serve with the pita wedges.