Another of her simple superlatives … great with plain rice.
South Indian to the core, and lovely.
- A sprig of curry leaves
- a handful of fresh grated coconut
- 1 tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
- 1 or 2 green chilies, deseeded
- 1/2 tsp haldi (turmeric powder)
Grind the above ingredients to a fine paste.
- black-eyed beans
- red pumpkin, skinned, cubed
- haldi (turmeric powder)
- 1 green chilie, halved
- 1 tsp sambhar powder
For the tarka / garnish
- dry red chilies
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- curry leaves
- Pressure cook the black eyed beans with the haldi, green chili and the sambhar powder (2 whistles).
- Remove the lid, add the raw pumpkin, salt as required and the ground paste. Simmer on a low flame for about 10 minutes till the vegetable is cooked.
- Tarka (sputter the garnish ingredients in hot oil, pour over the dish) and serve.