On a visit to Chennai last week, Mum’s helper, Kumari, brought this steaming dish of chicken to the table. It was delicious with a paratha and a pat of ghee !
- Chicken, in pieces
- 1 big onion, diced fine
- 1/2 (or more, as per taste) tomato, diced
- 1 tsp or so ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2″ cinnamon
- 1/2 to 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 3 cloves
- a sprig of curry leaves
- turmeric powder
- chili powder
- In hot oil, fry cinnamon, cloves and fennel. Add onions and saute till golden.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry till the aromas are released.
- Add tomatoes and curry leaves and fry to a liquid-y paste.
- Add the chicken, turmeric and chili powders and salt.
- Add a splash of hot water, as required, cover and cook till done.
This same recipe, with the addition of mint and lemon juice (and in a larger quantity) can be used to make a biryani.
Pix borrowed off the web.