Mona brought with her a small bottle of masala powder and produced magic in the kitchen.
This was her mother, Pam’s, basic masala powder, made fresh every year, which she sent to her daughters in Dubai and Shanghai.
The curries are to die for.
Masala for Chicken and Meat Curries
- 1/2 kg dry chilies
- 1/2 kg (dhaniya) coriander seeds
- 50g mustard seeds
- 50g cumin seeds
- 50g fennel seeds
- 50g black pepper seeds
- 50g methi seeds
- 50g chukka (dry ginger)
- 1” piece asafoetida powder
- 1 tbsp channa dhal
- 1 tbsp thoovar dhal
- 2” piece haldi
- Roast briefly, about 10 minutes, separately, on a low flame.
- Blend to a powder. Sieve and store in an airtight jar
- Add garam masala powder for chicken and meat curries.
- For fish curry, add chili and turmeric powders to the above.
Recipe for Chicken Curry with the above Masala
- 1 chicken breast in pieces
- Big onion, sliced
- a little fennel
- a little cumin
- 2 cloves
- 1 piece cinnamon
- few cardamon
- Ginger garlic paste
- 1 tomato, skinned, chopped
- Turmeric powder
- Coriander powder
- Cumin powder
- 1 tbsp of Pam’s masala powder
- 100 ml coconut milk diluted with 50 ml water
- Fry onion, fennel, jeera, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom.
- Add ginger garlic paste, fry.
- Add tomato, fry.
- Add haldi, coriander and cumin powders and Pam’s masala powder.
- Cook to a paste.
- Add chicken pieces and a little bit of hot water.
- When chicken is half cooked, add mixture of coconut milk and water.
- Cook till done.
Pix off the web, with thanks.