So this is a basic version of a go-to recipe – robust, tasty, easy to make, and quite the staple with rice, chappattis, naans, parathas …
- 2 chicken breasts, in pieces
- 1 big onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, skinned, pureed
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp turmeric (haldi)
- chili powder – to taste, depending on how spicy you want the curry
- 3 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 4 cloves
- 5 cardamom pods
- Coconut milk, as required
- In hot oil, saute the fennel, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. When aromatic, add the chopped onion and fry till lightly browned.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste, fry.
- Add the turmeric, chili, coriander and cumin powders, fry to a paste.
- Add the tomato puree, keep stirring for a few minutes, till cooked.
- Add salt and the chicken pieces, cook till done, usually about 10 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, give it a good stir and a simmer.
Pix borrowed from the web, as usual, with thanks.