So met Sango again, after a couple of years and she’s down 20kg, bursting with energy, glowing skin … thanks to a strict discipline of intermittent fasting. This is one of her fave recipes that’s helped her on her way to what she is today.
- 1 cup/125 gms sunflower seeds (or a mix of sunflower and pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 cup / 90gm flax seeds
- 1/2 cup/ 65 gms almonds, soaked 6 hours, peeled and chopped (or a mix of almond, macadamia and brazil nuts)
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats (or a mix of almond powder and oats, any ratio works, keeping the weight the same)
- 2 tablespoon chia seeds
- 4 tablespoons psyllium seed husk
- 1 tsp fine grain sea salt ( 1 1/2 if coarse)
- 3 tablespoons melted ghee or virgin coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups/ 350 ml water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (I added date syrup which was less sweet)
- OPTIONAL, YOU CAN THROW IN SOME CHOPPED DRIED FRUIT LIKE FIGs, CRANBERRIES, SULTANAS, PRUNEs … if you want it slightly sweet. About half a cup, max.
- Preheat oven to 350F / 175 C for 20 minutes.
- Place all dry ingredients EXCEPT CHIA SEEDS in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the melted ghee or coconut oil and maple syrup to the water. Use half this mixture to soak the chia seeds.
- Add the remaining half to the dry ingredients and amalgamate well.
- Now add the chia seeds plus its liquid.
- The dough will be quite thick. If dry to the touch, an additional 2 tablespoons water can be added.
- Lightly grease a silicon baking tray, 9.5 x 4 inch (can be slightly smaller or bigger by an inch or two).
- Pack the dough tightly into loaf pan. Pack in tightly with the back of closed fist. Smoothen surface. Cover with cling film and rest for at least 2 hours, up to a maximum of 8 hours, in a cool place. If overnight, best leave it the refrigerator.
Place in the centre of the oven and bake 20 to 30 minutes (bear in mind that heating can vary oven to oven).
Remove without turning off the oven, pull down the sides of the silicon pan and turn the loaf upside down onto a baking tray and return to oven.
Bake an additional 30 to 45 minutes. When done, it should sound hollow when tapped .
Cool before slicing.
Cut into slices and individually pack, if freezing.
Stays in the fridge for four days and best eaten within 8 days when frozen.